Mom's 8 Veggie Soup (gf + df + vegan option)
I stole this soup recipe from my Mom, and it’s packed with all the goodness. It’s loaded with 8 different types of veggies, making this soup super immune-boosting and nutrient dense. Perfect for those colder months when your body is in need of a warm, comforting pick-me-up. The pureed butternut squash and cauliflower add so much depth to the flavors and really help thicken up the soup to make it totally satisfying.
This recipe makes a HUGE batch, so it’s a great Sunday meal prep option and freezes well!
2 large white onions
10 celery stalks
2-32 oz. cartons chicken broth
2-32 oz. cartons vegetable broth
3 tbsp dried parsley
2 tbsp Italian seasoning herb blend
1 cup cherry tomato halves
1 butternut squash
½ head of cauliflower
4 cups baby spinach
4 chicken breasts
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Peel and chop the butternut squash and cauliflower. Add to a pot with some water and steam until soft. Set aside.
- Place the chicken breasts in a baking dish and cover with a drizzle of olive oil, plus juice from the lemon. Bake for about 20 minutes, until they are almost done (the chicken will cook a little more while simmering in the soup). Set aside.
- Finely dice the onions, cut the celery into very thin slices, and chop the carrots. Add to a soup pot with a good drizzle of olive oil and saute until the onions are slightly browned and caramelized (about 10 minutes).
- Slice the zucchini and add to the pot. Saute for about 3-5 minutes longer. Add more olive oil as necessary.
- Add all 4 cartons of broth to the pot and bring to a simmer.
- While the broth is heating, cut the tomatoes into halves and add to the soup with the spices.
- Mash the steamed butternut squash and cauliflower, or use a blender to puree them. Add to the soup.
- Slice the chicken breasts and add to the soup. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Finally, stir in the baby spinach and let it simmer for 5 more minutes.
*To make vegan, omit chicken and substitute 2 more veggie broths for the chicken broth.