Cauliflower + Spinach Carbonara (gf)
I absolutely LOVE pasta carbonara and all the cheesiness thatcomes with it. As per usual, I’m always looking for ways to squeeze morevegetables into my favorite foods and this recipe was no exception. No onecould believe a whole head of cauliflower went into this dish and honestly, neithercould I! The cauliflower helped to create the most creamy and rich sauce whichpaired perfectly with the cheese, ham, and spinach.
xoxo The Secret GF
1 small head of cauliflower (about 2 cups when chopped)
1 cup chicken broth
3 tbsp olive oil
1 small white onion
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 cup diced ham or turkey bacon
⅔ cup grated parmesan
1 box GF spaghetti
3 big handfuls of baby spinach
Salt + pepper
- Chop the cauliflower into small/medium sized pieces and put into a pot with the chicken broth. Bring the broth to a simmer and cook covered for about 15 minutes, or until the cauliflower is soft when pierced with a fork.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, dice the onion and sauté in a pan at medium-high heat. After about 3 minutes, add the garlic and the ham or bacon. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 7-10 minutes more, or until the ham/bacon is browned and the onion is caramelized. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the cooked cauliflower and broth to a blender with the eggs and parmesan. Blend until smooth and pour into the pan with the onion, garlic and ham/bacon. Heat on low, stirring frequently.
- While the sauce simmers, cook the pasta.
- Once the pasta is done, add it to the pan of sauce along with the baby spinach and mix around until the spinach wilts.
- Serve immediately!