Vanilla Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache Frosting
Cupcakes! Who doesn’t love them?? In high school, I was a serious cupcake fanatic. I baked and sold cupcakes at a bakery to raise money for the American Cancer Society and I just loved experimenting with different flavors every week. I got into some really creative ones like cookie dough and margarita (umm yes please!). That was all before I became gluten free, so now I am working on building my collection of gluten free cupcake recipes! For this first one, I wanted to start out with a basic vanilla. Eventually, I hope to share some more exciting and fun ones with you guys. Stay on the lookout for those in the future!This recipe makes cupcakes that are both dense and moist at the same time and in the best way possible. It’s almost like pound cake, but not quite! I paired them with a chocolate ganache frosting, which is super simple (literally 2 ingredients). Typically, I like fluffier frostings but this one goes great with the shredded coconut on top. This is a no fail, classic combination. I hope you enjoy!Ingredients:¼ cup coconut oil¼ cup coconut sugar¼ cup agave⅓ cup milk (regular or almond – doesn’t matter!)2 eggs½ tsp vanilla extract1 cup all-purpose GF flour blend1 ¾ tsp baking powder½ tsp salt½ tsp xanthan gumSteps:
- Preheat oven to 350⁰
- Using electric beaters or a stand mixer, beat together coconut oil and coconut sugar until creamy. Add in remaining wet ingredients (agave, milk, eggs, vanilla) and beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt, and xanthan gum.
- Pour flour mixture into wet mixture and beat at medium speed for 30 seconds. Then beat at high speed for 3 minutes (super important!!).
- Divide batter into cupcake liners, filling them about ¾ full.
- Bake for 13-18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool, frost with chocolate ganache frosting (recipe here) and sprinkle with shredded coconut.