Strawberry Galette (gf + vegan)
Strawberries are in prime season right now and I am loving it! I’ve also discovered a newfound appreciation for galettes – I think they will make it into my everyday recipe rotations. Galettes offer all the deliciousness of a pie, the “wow” factor of something different, rustic appeal, and ease. They are so simple to make and it doesn’t really matter how they look when you're done because the more mistakes you make, the more rustic they look!This strawberry galette has so many great qualities. First of all, the crust is so delicious and flaky that you seriously wouldn’t know it’s gluten free unless someone tells you. Not to pat my own back, but I really hit the home run here. Second, the filling is only three ingredients and not filled with tons of sugar. Overall, this dessert is basically healthy enough to eat for breakfast. It has just enough sweetness to curb that sugar craving without making you feel icky. For dessert, I love to pair it with a little whipped coconut cream or Luna and Larry’s Coconut Bliss vanilla ice cream. Ingredients:2 quarts fresh strawberries⅓ cup agave3 tbsp arrowroot starch2 cups of all-purpose GF flour blend½ tsp salt1 ½ tsp xanthan gum½ cup coconut oil¼ cup cold earth balance + 2 tbsp4-6 tbsp cold water2 tbsp coconut sugar (or other type of sugar) Steps:
- Preheat the oven to 375⁰F.
- To make the crust add the flour blend, salt, xanthan gum, coconut oil and ¼ cup earth balance to a mixing bowl. Use a fork to cut the flour blend into the oil and earth balance until the whole mixture looks like little crumbles.
- Add the cold water slowly and mix with a fork until the mixture resembles dough. The mixture should be moist enough that you would be able to roll it out, but not so watery that is becomes super sticky or pasty.
- Wrap the ball of dough in plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator while you make the filling.
- For the filling, remove the tops from and chop or slice the strawberries. Mix the chopped strawberry with the agave and arrowroot.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on the counter and dust with extra flour blend. Take the crust dough out of the fridge and roll it out using a rolling pin until the thickness reaches about ¼ inch and it is big enough for you to put the filling in it and fold up the sides.
- Place the strawberry filling in the center of the rolled-out dough and use your hands to fold up the sides. It doesn’t need to look perfect because galettes are supposed to be more “rustic” anyway.
- Melt the extra 2 tbsp earth balance and brush all over the crust on the top of the galette. Sprinkle the brushed areas with coconut sugar.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until the crust is nicely browned and the filling looks bubbly.