Pumpkin-filled Banana Cupcakes with Chai Cashew Frosting
If you haven’t had enough fall baked goods featuring pumpkin, warming spices and other yumminess, we are about to fix that right now. As promised in my earlier post for vanilla cupcakes, I am continuing to make new cupcake recipes for you guys! The recipe I am sharing this week has the perfect combination of flavors with a banana cake, pumpkin filling and chai frosting.The cake itself is super moist from all of the banana and has a subtle, but just-right sweetness. As a bonus, it is made up of wholesome flours like oat and almond so you can feel good about diving into these cupcakes! For the filling, I used a delicious locally-made pumpkin butter. It was such an easy addition, but it really takes these cupcakes to the next level. Now the most important part…the frosting. If you’ve never tried cashew frosting, your first reaction might be like “what the heck is that?????” Well let me tell you, I don’t get why cashew frosting hasn’t been a thing for a long time. It is super easy to make, has a slightly nutty flavor that isn’t strong enough to be overpowering, and is so good for you! Throw chai spices into the mix and I’m sold 100%.Happy baking!Cupcake Ingredients:¾ cup oat flour½ cup almond flour½ cup millet flour½ cup brown rice flour¼ cup tapioca flour1 tsp xanthan gum1 ½ tsp baking soda1 tsp baking powder1 tsp salt3 bananas, mashed (about 1 ½ cups)⅔ cup agave½ cup almond milk + 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar2 egg½ cup coconut oil, melted Optional filling: pumpkin butter Cupcake Steps:
- Preheat oven to 350⁰ Line a muffin tin with cupcake wrappers.
- Mix together flours, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients.
- Whisk together dry and wet mixtures.
- Divide batter into lined muffin tins, filling each one ¾ full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Optional: cut a small upside-down cone shape out of the top of each cupcake with a knife. Fill the whole with pumpkin butter. Cut the very top of the cone off and place it back over the hole.
- Frost with chai cashew frosting.
Chai Cashew Frosting Ingredients:2 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight½ cup agave4 tsp lemon juice3 tsp vanilla extract2 Tbsp unsweetened almond milkScant 1 tsp salt¼ tsp cinnamon¼ tsp ginger¼ tsp nutmeg⅛ tsp cloves⅛ tsp all spice⅛ tsp cardamomFrosting Steps:
- Place all ingredients into a food processor and process until completely smooth.