Millionaire's Shortbread Bars (vegan + gf)
Have you ever heard of millionaire’s shortbread bars? I had no idea what they were until two summers ago, when I was working in London. I was browsing the Whole Foods in Piccadilly Circus when I came upon gluten free millionaire’s shortbread bars. Have I mentioned I absolutely love browsing grocery stores? Weird, I know. Anyway, the bars looked delish and I was hankering for something sweet, so I decided to buy them. They were TO DIE FOR. Seriously. When I got home after that summer and had access to a normal kitchen again, I knew I had to recreate those bars. So here we are with this recipe that is vegan and gluten free!Millionaire’s shortbread bars traditionally have a bottom layer of shortbread cookie, a middle caramel layer, and a top chocolate layer. For my recipe, I made the cookie layer with almond flour to get a delicious nutty flavor. The middle layer is a caramel made mostly out of dates. Finally, I made the top chocolate out of cacao, coconut oil and agave.Honestly, I think these bars might be my best dessert recipe. They don’t have a lot of ingredients or added sugar. They are simple and easy to make. Plus, they taste so decadent even though they are made with natural, wholesome ingredients.Ingredients:Crust:1 ½ cups almond flour¼ cup grapeseed oil3 tbsp agave1 tsp vanilla extract⅛ tsp salt Caramel layer:11 medjool dates¼ cup almond butter¼ cup hot water Chocolate layer:⅓ cup coconut oil, melted6 ½ tbsp raw cacao powder2 tbsp agave Steps:
- Preheat oven to 350⁰F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Mix together all crust ingredients and press the mixture evenly on the bottom of the loaf pan.
- Bake crust for 20 minutes and let cool.
- Place the dates in a food processor and process until a paste forms.
- Add almond butter and water to the date paste and process until very smooth.
- Spread the date mixture evenly on the crust and place in the refrigerator while making chocolate.
- Whisk together chocolate ingredients and pour on top of the date layer.
- Refrigerate overnight or until the chocolate layer has hardened.
- Cut into squares to serve and keep leftovers in the refrigerator.